Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Tuesday's with Jesus #142

#142 " My Legacy"
April 8, 2008
"The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down."
(Proverbs 14: 1)
 
So you're probably wondering what took me so long. After all, my first grandchild, Ashton Kate Hogan, is now two weeks old. Might I add that she's a beauty! I know that every Grammy thinks her grandbaby is beautiful, but I have to tell you that even if this precious girl didn't have my blood running through her little veins, she'd still be out and out gorgeous!
 
This little darlin' has already brought such joy even at her tender age. Besides the fact that she's adorable, her birth has opened my eyes to so many awesome things. I was able to watch my oldest daughter, still bearing the scabs from her own miscarriage, holding Ashton in her arms. The healing process visibly unfolded right before my eyes. Thank you Jesus! Then there was my oldest son. He was told he was going to be a father himself a few years ago at the ripe old age of 17. It turned out the baby wasn't his. I watched his whole body shake as he held Ashton for the first time. I lifted my eyes and thanked the Lord for mercies given all those years ago. Great is His faithfulness! And our youngest, at 17, tough on the outside, but melting on the inside, with his new niece snuggled safely in his arms. Thank you Father, for drawing him closer and closer to you everyday. And Ashton's mom. My daughter. She's a mom now too. And watching her with her own little one fills my heart with joy unspeakable. I am truly full. 
 
The place of our tent is enlarging. The curtains are being stretched and the cords lengthened to make room for more of us. This family's beginnings were more than shaky. We've all made our share of mistakes. We've loved, we've laughed, we've cried. We've stood by one another. We've let each other down. But that's what family is all about. A wise woman builds her house. I haven't always been wise, but I pray I'm doing better. I have the most perfect parent in my Heavenly Father, and over the years He has taught me what it means to love...freely and unconditionally, because that's how He has loved me. And to the best of my human ability and with His strength I have set my heart to love like Him. I want my children to know happiness. But more than that, I want them to know love. God is Love. I want them to follow their dreams and their heart's desires. But more than that, I want them to follow Christ. I want them to always know that no matter what they do, even when they don't measure up to other people's standards, they always measure up with me. Because I always measure up with God. When they fail, I will forgive much, because I have been forgiven much. I will love them much, because my Father has loved me much. He is my example. Oh, that they would see Him in me and choose to follow!
 
Now there's Ashton. Only my groom, who knows me so well, knew what I was doing on the first day I held her in my arms. We were telling secrets. I whispered in her ear that Jesus loves her and so do I. I told her quietly when no one else was listening how she has a Father in Heaven who created her inmost being and knit her together in her Mommy's womb. I told her that she is fearfully and wonderfully made and that every day of her life was already written in God's book before one of those days ever came to pass. That there's an awesome plan for her life and that she is a mighty woman of God.
 
She never opened her eyes. But God's Word is living and active. There is power in the Word and I prophesied it over this precious ones life. I'm building my house. And Grammy has more secrets to tell her as she grows. 
 
Something supernatural happens when you make a decision to stand in the gap between the generations. When you make a decision to build your house. Ancient ruins of the past are rebuilt. Places long devastated are restored. The things of the generation that preceded me are defeated because of Christ Jesus who armed me for battle against them. Ruined cities that have been devastated for generations are renewed. And all who see us will acknowledge that we are a people the Lord has blessed. (See Isaiah 61: 4, 9b) Generational curses have been broken in Jesus' name. My mistakes have been redeemed and God's faithfulness has kept my children in spite of myself.
 
The past and it's power over us is broken. I have stood in the gap. I bear the battle scars. But it has been oh, so worth it. My children are the better for it. They will, in turn, build their houses, not tear them down. It's going to be better for you, Ashton Kate. And it will be better for all the grandbabies to come. Grammy's sure of that. And she has enough secrets to tell you all. Because you see, this family's house is built on the sure foundation of Christ Jesus, our Lord. The storms may come and the winds may blow and beat against this house, but it will not fall.... You, Ashton, are the first of the next generation for whom a legacy has been left. A legacy of unconditional love. A legacy of acceptance and forgiveness. A legacy that has been bought with a price. But worth every tear that's been shed and every fight that's been fought. It's going to be so much better for you, my lovely little girl. 
 
This wise woman has built her house. It is a house built with wisdom and established through understanding. Through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures. (Proverbs 24: 3-4) The Lord gives wisdom and it is only because of Him that I didn't tear my house down with my own hands years ago. There's plenty of room now for grandbaby boys and grandbaby girls. Lord, I promise to do better with them. I promise to do better this time around. Because of You...I will leave a legacy.
 
 
Love,
Donna
 
 
 
To unsubscribe, reply to this e-mail and type "unsubscribe" in the subject line.  
 
If you are viewing this on Blogger.com and would like to receive "Tuesday's with Jesus" in your e-mail box each Tuesday, please visit our website or e-mail tuesdays@livingthewordministries.org and you will be added to the list.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment