Tuesday, July 19, 2011

#208 "Evil Forebodings"

So it's Tuesday again. Here I sit, with my fingers poised over the keys. That's about all that's poised right now. I have a million thoughts running through my head, but nothing that's making it's way down the circuits from my brain to my fingertips. I need to write something. It's Tuesday. My title is "Tuesdays with Jesus", right? 

I'm thinking about how the meteorologists predicted severe storms in our area yesterday. I laughed when I saw that my man had put the sprinkler out in the morning. But I guess the joke was on me because it never rained; at least not in our neck of the woods. 

I had some profound statement to make about that a few minutes ago. I didn't write it down and now it's gone. I hate when that happens.

It had something to do with the way we get all worked up over storms that we think are on their way into our lives. I've heard them called "evil forebodings."

We're about to have a conversation with someone, and we imagine the worst exchange. We have to go to the doctor and get our test results, and we imagine the worst possible diagnosis. Our child is late coming home, and we imagine the dreaded telephone call. We shake and quiver and feel nauseous. The mind races, the stomach turns, and the knees get weak. 



We did get a few ominous clouds appearing overhead, and the winds kicked up. But it never rained. It never stormed. No thunder. No lightning. The sun came out. The winds turned to light breezes and the clouds became light and puffy.

Just like those evil forebodings. How many times have your worst fears NEVER come to pass? You realize how ridiculous you were being and you became ashamed by your lack of faith. Why on earth do we do that?

Your enemy, the devil, throws some pretty hefty darts and aims right for your mind. A dart of evil foreboding here. A flaming arrow of unnecessary fear there. 

When you hear thunder in the distance and the storm clouds are gathering over your head, there is only one thing to do.   



Ephesians 6:16 

Feed your faith and your fear will starve to death. Put the shield of faith in one hand and wield the sword of the Spirit, the Word of God, with the other.  


"We capture every thought and make it give up and obey Christ." (2 Corinthians 10:5 NCV)

Straight out, don't be afraid of imaginary things. The skies can look fierce. The winds may howl. But that doesn't always mean that a storm will come. I guess I had something to say after all.






29 comments:

  1. I also fear imaginary things. I love your phrase 'Feed your faith and your fear will starve to death'. I had always associated 'taking every thought captive' with sinful thoughts but it does also speak of fear as we can let fear overwealm us.
    Thank you for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had a moment today where I had to feed my faith. So, I got on my knees and asked God to be in the details and bring us through each step. No more storm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great reminder! It's too easy to worry about the "what if" rather than focus on reality. I just read on someone's blog that a 30% chance of rain is a 70% chance of sunshine. And with Christ, even the rain can be like sunshine.

    Visiting from Soli Deo Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linking up with 'inspire me'.... love that thought about feeding our faith! FEAR is 'False evidence appearing real' ... don't you just love that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the armour of God...always good advice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love that: Feed your faith and fear will starve to death! Hallelujah! Amen!

    It is so important that we capture those thoughts of evil forebodings and crush them with the Word of God.

    I came over from the Faith Barista's site.

    Have a blessed Faith Jam Day!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this reminder to feed our faith and dispel fear!

    ReplyDelete
  8. and even if the storms do come, He'll see us through them. great post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ouch. I've planned more funerals I didn't need to use. I like the Corinthians verse -- capture every thought. I'm going to memorize it.

    Blessings,
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, ya got it going pretty good once you started. So true. I'm one to thing the STORM is coming way too often.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh i love this. i love how candid your beginning, and how strong your finish. thank you for reminding me that my fears are misplaced--especially as i anticipate going into labor for the second time over the next week :) blessings, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Visiting from Bragging on God - its funny how we wrote about the same thing this week! It is good to read he same verses from a different perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Donna,
    I often see storms coming in my life and react with anxiety due to the panic disorder I suffer from.Prayer and medication, both gifts from God,see me through these times.Faith works.

    God Bless
    Barb from Australia

    ReplyDelete
  14. For having nothing to say, you did a fabulous job! While I know we all do this to some extent, my daughter is a really good example of this right now. She gets these fears and then lets them paralyze her. No amount of taking can make the tears stop. So I've stopped talking to her. Instead, I pray with her. At first it may be only me praying. It may take her a little bit to calm down. But she does, and she prays. And somewhere in her young brain she knows that Jesus will take care of her. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good words ... coming in from Studio JRU at life with kaishon today...and I just absolutely love your image at the top of your page!

    Good to have found a new sister in the Lord...Blessings on your weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Why do we psyche ourselves out expecting the worst? Maybe this is why I live by "one day at a time." Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  17. HI Donna...I came from Spiritual Sundays and so glad I did. Your post is powerful and one that I needed to read...feed your faith and fear will disappear...thanks for posting this..

    ReplyDelete
  18. That was great, I found you through the Hear it, Use it hop. I love the image of the "hefty darts aimed right at your mind"
    I sure feel that way often times. Thanks for reposting for the hop so I could find you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This happens to me so much.
    I need to remember this as I worry right now. I always convince myself that this time that it is a necessary worry and I really have something to be concerned about but I need to remember that if I have faith it will turn out alright even if the worry does come true.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Feeding faith and reining in every thought in obedience to Him...its the only way, isn't it? Thank you for reminding...because we are puny specks of dust and prone to forget.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yep. I needed that. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This goes well with my post on worries today -- thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi! I'm stopping by from the Super Stalker Sunday Hop! Thanks so much for linking up with us and stalking around! :) Be sure to come join us again next Sunday for a fun filled day of stalking! =D

    Kortney
    Kortney's Krazy Life

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh how I needed this!! worry wort ..over here :0/ THank you!! Feed your faith and your fear will die!! woot!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Donna! Feeding our faith is wonderful encouragement, freshly brewed for everyone. Thanks for this, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have fretted over things in my life many times I thought were going to happen, but they didn't. I hope I'm learning to trust more in my old age and realize that God is in control and whatever comes my way He is more than able to see me through it. Thank you for sharing this interesting post with us on Spiritual Sundays.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  27. Worry is something that God has really been dealing with me on for so long. I'm happy to say I'm finally getting better at trusting God through things and understanding what he means when he says we cannot add one whit to our lives by worry (Matt. 6:25). When I've been able to relax in God and have peace, things seem to miraculously be taken care of by my heavenly Father. I'm so blessed to know him. Thanks for lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  28. So many things to fear. I like to "feed my faith and watch my fear starve."

    ReplyDelete
  29. Donna, thank you for such an insightful post. Your words redirect my thoughts -- especially now as I struggle with pain. Thank you.

    And thank you for linking up with my friday favorites (from last week --- it only took me this long to finally get to those thanks. Ah, that shoulder of mine)

    Blessings!

    RAchel

    ReplyDelete