Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Least Likely

Almost forty years ago, someone, maybe two someones, were voted Most Likely to Succeed from the Class of '74 at St. Florian High School. For the life of me, I can't remember who they were. I guess I'd have to pull out my old yearbook and take a look, but it's buried somewhere.
Being voted Most Likely to Succeed is certainly a prestigious honor, and hopefully those people lived up to those expectations. If we heard the news today that they did in fact succeed, we wouldn't be the least bit surprised, would we? 


What about those who were the Least Likely to Succeed? Their names weren't written in any yearbook. That would have just been rude. But I'll bet that you and I can remember who they were. If we heard that they actually succeeded and accomplished great things, we would be having a "Really?", "Seriously?", "You've got to be kidding me!" moment. 

We certainly are quick to write people off, aren't we? I guess that's the ugly, judgmental part of every one of us. We do it when we judge someones potential for greatness in the world. We do it when we judge someones potential for greatness ... even in the Kingdom of God. 

The atheist who refuses to consider that there is a God. The agnostic who doesn't care one way or the other. The man who wears a full metal jacket made of anger, or the woman who sells her body because once, someone stole her soul.  We call them hopeless and impossible, and unreachable, because Lord knows, we've tried to reach them, and they've never responded the way we'd have liked them to.  


"But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him. It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus." (1 Cor. 1: 27-30)

My family is full of all manner of people. We're a diverse group, all on our own journeys with God, or without, as some cases may be. Like you, I can pretty easily pick out the ones that are obviously destined for greatness in the Kingdom. We look at them, and we're wowed by the potential that we see. But, are we looking at the right ones? Are we looking at the ones that God is looking at? 

Lying dormant in a stuttering, murderer could be a Moses. In a troubled teenage girl, trying to destroy herself, could be a Mary Magdalene. In a loose, promiscuous, husband-stealer, could be a woman, clinging to an alabaster box, ready to pour it's contents on the feet of the Master, with more love than any of the righteous among us. Inside that atheist who gives approval to the death of everything that is God, could be a Paul. 

Lord, forgive us for having eyes that do not see. 
Give us your eyes. 

I prayed in earnest this morning for those closest to me that would be labeled The Most Likely Not To Succeed. It's God's way. They are closest to His heart. He came for the least and the lost and the stubborn and the unmotivated and the confused and the misinformed. He has proven that to us in His Word. 

He has proven it to me because He chose me, didn't He? 

I don't remember who was voted Most Likely To Succeed way back in 1974, but I do remember every single name, and every single story, of someone deemed "Least", who stood before me with feet firmly planted on a Rock, lifted out of a pit that almost swallowed them alive, singing a new song, placed in their heart by the One who searches for just such as these. Those are the ones I will never forget.

This morning I prayed for the Most Likely among my loved ones. But I prayed in earnest that the Least Likely of those I call "loved ones", would one day be the very ones who do the most damage to the kingdom of darkness.

That, right there, is where God receives the most glory.   

That, right there, is the heart of God. 


Linking with Shanda
...and Ann
...and Painting Prose
...and Rachel

7 comments:

  1. So true...who are we to judge another person or how God will use him or her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great post. This is very true and we are so quick to judge or write people off. I stand with you in agreement of what you said, "Lord, forgive us for having eyes that do not see.
    Give us your eyes." Blessings, Tirzah (stoppoing by from Bless a Blogger)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm visiting from Bless a Blogger. I really enjoyed this post. It reminds me of the song by Brandon Heath, "Give Me Your Eyes." If we truly sought to see others through God's eyes, imagine the difference we could make in people's lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great thoughts, Donna. I like your paragraph beginning "Lying dormant in a stuttering, murderer could be a Moses." Great insights. Thanks for linking to Bless a Blogger..I pray that your blog/writing ministry this week will be blessed. Bless you! Gail

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopped from Bless a Blogger! Great post... very convicting. It is hard to see others as God sees them. I can remember those least likelies and its hard to swallow, that maybe just maybe I could have done or said something to give them hope instead of heartache.
    Everyday we walk by some of those least likelies and we have no idea what they are going through. May each of us take this post to the Lord and allow Him to change our hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopping over from Bless a Blogger. Wow! What a great lesson for us, and a profoundly convicting post. You are right, we are quick to write people off. I am among those that do. May I remember to ask God to give me His eyes for the outcast of society and see the potential God created them with...and even reach out and help them reach that potential if possible. May God bless you in all that you do, blessings from Zagreb.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are so quick to label...I'm so glad that He sees past...

    ReplyDelete