Tuesday, August 28, 2012

You Didn't Build That

There has been a firestorm of talk over the last few weeks about a remark that President Barack Obama made during a campaign speech. In a nutshell, he inferred that if you have been successful in any way, you didn't get there on your own. If you have a successful business, "you didn't build that."

Barack Obama was right.

Now, now...before some of my friends give me the fist pump of affirmation, and before some of my friends gather collectively to stone me, let me explain. I know that the remark the President made was in a whole different context, but please allow me a wee bit of liberty and grace. I needed an opening for this post and this seemed good to me.

During my prayer time the other day, I was thanking God for all of the things I normally thank God for. You know...my husband, my children, my grandchildren, health, my husband's job, ministry opportunities, finances, the Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit, the cross, salvation, and the Word. I didn't have a new revelation, but I just paid more attention, giving it more thought on that particular morning.

There is not one single solitary thing that I thanked God for, that did not come first from His hand.

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change." (James 1: 17 ESV)

Every good gift. Every perfect gift. Every single solitary thing that I thank God for. It comes from Him.

I thank Him for material blessings.

"But remember the Lord your God, for it is HE who gives you the ability to produce wealth." (Deut. 8:18)

I thank Him for salvation.

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God, not by works, so that no one can boast." (Ephesians 2: 8-9)

What about that faith that I have been saved through?

"The measure of faith that God has assigned." (Romans 12:3 ESV)

The grace by which I've been saved?

"But He gives more grace." (James 4: 6 ESV)

Dare I be proud that I love the Lord?

"We love because He first loved us." (1 John 4: 19 NIV)

I have nothing that didn't come from Him. I am not saved by any other but Him. Faith? Uh-uh! He gives me the measure of that. I can't even take credit for the love that I have for Him. He loved me first.

The air that I breathe. The next breath that I take. Each beat of my heart. It comes from the Giver of Life.

Each one of my children were conceived and born because God opens and closes wombs. (Genesis 30: 22; 1 Samuel 1: 19-20)

Success? God "humbles and He exalts." (1 Samuel 2: 7b)

President Obama doesn't know how correct he was in making that statement. His error was in where he was giving the credit for what we have, and for what we have accomplished.

Mr. President, you are right. We didn't build that.

God did!  

 

20 comments:

  1. This says it all: "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change." (James 1: 17 ESV)"

    So thankful that our God gives so generously to our every need.


    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just on the phone with a friend talking about this very thing. He is the author of every good gift. So thankful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes... I agree with your take on that! :) To Him be the glory, in all we do and have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna,

    I thought the same thing during this political firestorm. Thanks for making it a post, Gutsy Woman!

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna, so clever of God to give you that attention-grabbing title!
    And yes, every good and perfect gift comes from the Father.
    Hallelujah!

    What are your impossible dreams?
    http://debrasblogpureandsimple.blogspot.com/2012/08/house-of-dreams_28.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! It is so very true, we are and have nothing without the Father! Thank you for sharing and linking up at Simply Helping Him! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And sometimes, we build things given to us by God with the help of others. We are all connected.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely! I like this take. --Coming to you from Pieces of Amy:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Amen to that, Donna! Thank you God for being my everything. And for every gift in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing your lovely post at the Thursday favorite Things Blog Hop Linky Party xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes, these were the feelings churning within during all the political turmoil--that God is in control of it all anyway. This is so comforting. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're so right. All good and perfect gifts come from God. I wonder if he wouldn't like to bless us me more; Luke 12:48 says: "Unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall much be required." Am I fulfilling my responsibilities?

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so right! Unfortunately Obama kind of ruined it for us all but those of us who know the Lord know all good things come from him. Thanks for taking something bad and making it something good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So utterly true Donna....just love this post!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Donna! Excellent post. My mom always taught me that gratitude that is not expressed is not gratitude. :) I guess that goes for our thankfulness to God as well. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh yes, yes, yes. such a humble and holy approach to everything in our lives. this is how we are to hold it all: loosely, knowing it came first from God, and that we ought to "pay it forward."

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so timely for me. I've been trying to think of the most important things to be grateful for. This is definitely one of them. You're a doll :0)

    ReplyDelete