Tuesday, May 17, 2016

What DO You Know?

If we're honest, I don't think we like to admit that we ask questions. We especially don't like to admit that we ask questions of God, or about God, right? Somehow it appears much nobler and stronger to say that we believe God one hundred and ten percent, and never question anything. We spout platitudes like, "I don't know the answers, but I know the One Who does".

But what about those times when no one else is around? What about those days when we're alone with God and we can't keep silent any longer and the questions spill out on the floor at His feet?

The world around us gives us plenty to question each day. Why does God allow injustice? Why do such heinous, horrible things advance the cause of evil in our day? Why do bad things happen to good people? Why do people die before their time? Why are babies lost and people murdered and businesses fail? To say nothing of the questions that pose themselves concerning our own situations, trials and tribulations.

A good journalist will ask five questions when sitting down to write a news story. Who? What? When? Where? and Why? I'm having myself a good laugh here, because those are the very questions I ask God. Not everyday, mind you. Some days I try and be strong, buckle up by faith belt and not ask. But other times, man! I can't help but ask! More times than not I get crickets. Zip. Nada.

We ask questions about life and God's plans for us going forward. In many areas of our lives we're living in the dark with a future as clear as mud. Most days, when I hear the silence, I feel that God is saying that I just need to trust Him. I close my Bible and say that's fine and go on with my day. But sometimes, when I ask the questions, and I hear myself say, "I don't know", God says, "What DO you know?"

What DO I know?

I know that God is good.
I know that God has been faithful to me.
I know that Jesus Christ is the same, yesterday, today and forevermore.
I know that God loves me.
I know that He has a good plan for my life, one to prosper me and not to harm me.
I know that God will never leave me or forsake me.
I know that God will supply all of my needs according to His riches in glory.
I know that my Heavenly Father knows my needs before I ask.
I know that Jesus died for me and I am forgiven of all of my sins.
I know that it is well with my soul.
I know that I will spend eternity in Heaven with Him.
I know that He who did not spare His only Son, but gave Him up for me, will also freely give me all good things.
I know that He is coming soon and will set all things right in this world.
I know that God is able to do exceedingly, abundantly above all I could ever ask or think.   
I know that I could go on and on.

Those, and many more, are the things that I know. Those, and many more, are truth. Those, and many more are the answers I can carry with me this day. Maybe the only answers I will get for a long, long time.

The prophet Habakkuk questioned God when the power of Babylon was growing. He questioned God's justice in allowing evil to go unchecked. God's answer to Habakkuk revealed the truths of Who He was and that He certainly knew what He was doing. Because of what he DID know, Habakkuk was able to pen these words:

"Though the fig tree does not bud
and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen 
and no cattle in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
I will be joyful in God my Savior."
(Habakkuk 3: 17-18) 

Like Habakkuk, we may not know the who, what, when, where, or why of our situation today. But because we can call to mind the things about our God that we DO know? We can rejoice in the Lord and be joyful in God our Savior. 

What DO you know today?  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment