Monday, September 12, 2011

#216 "The Prison Of Her Soul"

The room was small. A bed, a desk, and facilities was all. Remembering, it was cold. Thirty five years she had spent in that place. 

In the prison of her soul.

Others had just arrived. More had been there longer. In the place where heaviness and hopelessness was the mark on the day.

Trying to pass the time with pursuits she hoped would numb the pain that she felt inside. Chasing after things.

Success. Riches. Acceptance. Love in the embrace of arms that only took and never gave.

Nothing worked there. In the prison of her soul.

The list of charges was long and only seemed to grow with each new sunrise.

Trying to tow the line. To be a good girl. The accuser always brought another charge.



GUILTY!

She always wondered what it would be like to know the man at work who belonged to another.

GUILTY! Charge: Adultery!  

She remembers signing the consent form. Ending the tiny life of one who could never fight for the right to one day breathe Earth's air.

GUILTY! Charge: Murder! 

Judgment, envy, hatred, anger, gossip, selfishness.

Screaming in her head.

GUILTY! GUILTY! GUILTY!

Banging on the bars. A voice.

"You are free to go."

A dream? A cruel joke? 
Free? Free? I will never be free!

A man has agreed to take her place. She can go free. Could it be? Who would ever do that? A man? 

Almost laughable! Men had only let her down. She hears herself say, "I want to meet this man." They have already taken him away. It is for her to believe and walk free.

Leaving her cell, she hides in the shadows, watching. She recalls an old story she had heard. Peter, wasn't it? Watching from the shadows? She can scarcely breathe when she finds him. Beatings. For her.

Hands go to ears trying to quiet the voices. Taunting. Mocking. Him. For her. Spitting on him. Not her.

She follows in the shadows. "Dead Man Walking", they cry. She stares at his back on it's way to the death chamber. She wants so badly to see his face.



What is he carrying? A cross with something written on it. Oh! No! Every sin, evil thought and sickness she ever had was carved into the wooden beam. 

Heavy nails pierce hands and feet. Nailed to the beam he bore. Screams of pain. Pain she will never be required to know. Blood flows. "I must get closer...I must see him!"

Just then. He turns. The most beautiful eyes she has ever seen...eyes full of love.

"Is He speaking? To me?" 

"My beautiful daughter, I love you so much. You are free - believe it - you are truly free. You are not only forgiven, but your sins are totally off of your record. No one will ever be able to accuse you again. Every sin you will ever commit in your life will be covered by this blood that I am shedding for you right now!"

For a moment His words are interrupted by someone trying to give Him something to drink. But He turns back and says, "Wait. I have more to give you." MORE! What more could He give? Getting weaker with each passing moment, He says that He will send what His Father promised. Another. Holy Spirit. To be with her all the days of her life. A guide. A comforter. A counselor. Life eternal with Him. She will see Him again. She will never be alone again. She will never be abused. She will never be rejected. Forever loved.

He cries out one more time. "It is finished!"

He is dead. She is free. 

A soldier stands by. A tear falling down his cheek. She approaches him and asks, "Who was that man?" 

"Surely this man was the Son of God!"

He hands her the release papers. Shaking hands and pounding heart. The words.

Pardoned. No condemnation.
Penalty paid.
New creation.
Forever righteous.
Loved.
Valued.
Accepted.
Protected.
Redeemed.
Perfect!

She walks out of the darkness and into the light of freedom. She can't wait for you to hear her story. She starts searching for others who need to be set free. Prisoner turned evangelist.

Can you hear her?

Don't try to quiet her. She will not be silent.

Excuse her for being a little...RADICAL.

Radical Love touched her life, right there, in the prison of her soul.



"But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8) 




34 comments:

  1. Great post with an awesome lesson!

    Thanks for sharing with others and spreading the news!

    Have a Terrific Tuesday!

    Carolee
    Come on home - mom blog
    Working at home advice

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was terrific. Such a great way to think about it.. .something I'd never thought about before. And also, thanks for linking up for 'Thankful Tuesdays'-- I'm SO thankful that Jesus took my place. I can never thank him Enough.
    ~Kelly www.ohthatmomagain.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I have been in that same prison. Freedom is an amazing thing! Thanks for sharing this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this narrative -- the passion that He has for us flows from your words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello I was sent over from Voiceboks Members to remember. I am a new email subscriber.
    I really enjoyed your post. I wish I was as well spoken about our Holy father. You have a gift.
    Please visit me back at My 2 Cents

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Donna, I'm nearly in tears reading this. May God bless you over and over and over again, my sweet friend. Go ahead - Be radical. Continue to spread His word and His love with every breath you take. He has gifted you with the ability to write in ways that touch deep into the souls of your readers. Keep on keeping on, my sister in Christ!

    Blessings,
    Rosann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully written and thought provoking. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! What a powerful reminder of what our precious Savior has done for us. Thank you for this blessing today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an awesome post with great lessons! Beautifully written as well. Found you via Members To Remember!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's sometimes so hard to believe that we are freed. Beautiful, heart-wrenching reminder of how amazing is Our God!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Powerful, stirring story of deliverance and freedom!! Makes me think of...Who the Lord sets free...IS free indeed! Amen for prisoner turned evangelist. How I can so relate! Out of darkness...into His glorious light! Thanks for this powerful testimony of His goodness! ~ jen

    ReplyDelete
  12. whew this is hot...love the retelling of the greatest story making it personal...grace is an amazing thing....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow. I am stopping by from the Wednesday Window and this brought me to tears. I have goosebumps, and I am remembering the moment I accepted Christ and my wonder and amazement at His love that filled me. Thank you for sharing such a moving story. God bless.
    Smiles, Jenn @Misadventures in Motherhood

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful post. His love is incredible and I thank God for His mercy and grace. It is a gift beyond understanding...

    Blessings, Joan

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is beautiful, Donna. Even after being a Christian for most of my life, I still don't fully comprehend the gift of grace nor fathom the depths of His love.

    Blessings,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  16. donna, this is incredible. i feel as though i just met Christ for the first time... what a gift you have, friend. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We are free indeed! Praise Him! Thank you for linking up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Thank you for posting this.
    It is such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for sharing. Praise God that Christ humbled Himself to make us free.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Freedom in Christ is an amazing feeling. More than that is the change made in my heart. Such a impactful post.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a powerful post. Thank you and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  22. awesome message....freedom in Him....the absolute best feeling ever

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, so well said. Freedom comes at a very high price.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a vivid telling. This is me. This is every man and woman. May we never forget the price that was paid...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! Very touching!
    Thanks for joining Monday Manna.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Jesus our deliverer sets us free and all is forgiven paid for by Him. Reminds me of Mary pouring out the ointment and wiping His feet with her tears. Those who criticized her were the guilty ones.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This was absolutely beautiful!! How could anyone turned that gift down? So many do though. I am so thainkful I accepted the free gift 46 years ago. he has forgiven me, cleansed me and I am FREE!!
    I am so glad I found this blog.I am ollowing from Monday Mingle. Please come and visit me @ www.happyfamilyhappykids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. What an inspiriting message. I love it! Thank you!

    Also thank you for linking up to the Motivational Monday Blog Hop.

    God Bless
    Jen
    What's On My Mind

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi!! I'm stopping by from the Super Stalker Sunday Blog Hop! Thanks so much for linking up with us this week! Hope you are having a great week!!

    See you again next week for more fun Super Stalking,

    Kortney @ Kortney's Krazy Life

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is so beautiful... I got goosebumps at many sentences, at the truth. Thank you for this reminder and the conviction. I remember how radical I should be because of how I've been pardoned.

    ReplyDelete
  31. love this narrative...brings me into the character of Christ, and myself.

    ReplyDelete
  32. My heart just weeps at the pain and rejoices at the redemption, the freedom! Poignant, beautiful! Such rejoicing, too, for hearts that reach for those freedom papers!

    ReplyDelete