Wednesday, July 10, 2013

A Prescription for Anxiety

Disclaimer: I’m not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don’t get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I’ve got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I’m off and running, and I’m not turning back. 
(Philippians 3: 12-14 The Message)


The apostle Paul was human, just like you and me. If you have time to do a wee bible study, look at 2 Corinthians 11: 23-28. You'll see that this guy endured and suffered more than any of us could ever boast about. 

We think we have problems? 

Yet this is the same guy, who in his letter to the church at Philippi, mentioned joy four times, rejoicing eight times, and gladness three times. In fact, in Philippians 4: 4, he says, "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!" A double dose of rejoicing! He then goes on to tell us to be "anxious for nothing". 

Don't worry. Don't be anxious. About nothing. About NO THING.

We don't have to be anxious. We choose to be anxious.

But there's another choice.

How about the next time {and there will be a next time} anxiety comes knocking at your door; when the letter comes, the report is bad, the bank account is empty, the child has got us at our wits end, how about we put into practice what we can learn from Paul (Phil 4: 9)?

Pray.
Ask.
Thank.
Think about something else.

Something true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent or praiseworthy.
(Phil 4: 8)

Prayer + Asking + Thanking = Peace
(Phil 4: 7) 

I want to live there.

I can choose to live there.

What about you?




 

1 comment:

  1. I love the verses from Philippians and would do well to read them daily. Think on these things - great prescription!

    ReplyDelete